My favourite blogs

Thursday 6 July 2017

What to do with a layer cake?


I wanted to give my day time patchwork class a bit of a challenge and decided to let them have a go at, what is called, stack and whack, techniques. Not a nice expression is it?  So first of all we tackled the three stack of fabrics from two sets of fat quarters.  So the ladies produced a pile of blocks about 5" x 6". They worked jolly hard! 



 The blocks were stiched together to make a couple of bags. These are available for sale in my studio. They are very sturdy with an inner zipped pocket.



So with that done, we moved onto the 9 patch.  I had a lovely layer cake with a poppy print. The pack had 42 squares and we picked out four sets of nine fabrics.  We stacked nine together and cut in two directions.



Next, the indivdual piles are sorted. Leaving the top left hand pile alone, the next along to the right-you put the top fabric to the back of the pile. With the pile to the top right, you move two pieces to the back. This continues increasing the number each time, until each pile has been rearranged.  Keep calm! 


Trying not to upset each pile, stitch together row by row. You don't have to match the seams, in fact this is almost impossible to do. 



Next, stitch the three rows together



Then, square up the finished block to 8 1/2" I use an acrylic ruler from Creative Grids as it's very see through with very clear black lines. 


Here is the trimmed block. 






Repeat with all the remaining stacks and sets of fabrics. Eventually you will have 36 lovely blocks.  It must be said that the ladies in the class worked very hard and made 18 blocks between them.  What a slave driver! 

 We did discuss the next steps and all agreed that the quilt needed 'something else'. I added on the charcoal grey border of 2" finished width. I made sure there were no dark patches in the blocks close to the border.  I then used some more fabric to make an improvised pieced border with dark 'cornerstones'. I added a narrow binding and was done.  I'm one of those odd people who enjoys making and adding the binding. I also don't mind hand stitching the binding whilst watching TV. 


Then the big decision. How would I quilt it?  I found some amazing lime green fabric at Back Stitch out at Burwash Manor. This was just the right width and a mix of cotton and linen. After a few try outs I decided the quilt needed nothing too elaborate and simply stitched wavy lines (about 50 of them!) using my trusty walking foot.  Sometimes, simple is the best option. 



 The finished quilt  is now on my studio wall ready for my Open Studios Event.

I live at Perne Villa, 107 Perne Road, Cambridge, CB1 3SB. There is parking nearby and at the local Co-Op.  I'm open from 11am until 6pm weekends of

July 8-9th
July 15-16th
July 22-23rd





*****************************







No comments:

Post a Comment